ABOUT THE EVENT
Sequential Monte Carlo (SMC) methods, also known as particle filters or particle methods, have over the past two decades emerged as very successful tools for computational inference in statistical models, including (but not limited to) nonlinear dynamical systems.
The aim of this workshop is to:
- Bring together researchers developing and using SMC methods in various scientific fields (both in academia and industry).
- Open up the field to researchers and users who are new to SMC methods. For this reason we are also giving an intensive PhD level course the week leading up to the conference.
- Encourage more women to do research in the exciting field of SMC! The reason is that the SMC community is struggling with a gender imbalance, with comparatively few women active in the area. Related to this we will award scholarships for attending the intensive course and/or scientific symposium, with the purpose of improving the gender equality in the community.
WHEN AND WHERE?
Workshop: The scientific workshop will be held on 30 Aug - 1 Sept, 2017. The program consits of 21 invited talks and a contributed poster session. The venue for the workshop is Norrlands Nation in central Uppsala, Sweden. On the evening of 29 Aug there will be a drinks reception to welcome all workshop attendees to Uppsala.
Course: The dates for the preceding intensive course on SMC are 24 - 29 Aug, 2017 (including a social event for the course attendees on Saturday the 26th). The course will be given at Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
Please see the menu to the left for further information.
The following speakers are confirmed for the scientific program:
- Jana de Wiljes, University of Potsdam
- Adam Johansen, University of Warwick
- Marco Cusumano-Towner, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Pierre Del Moral, INRIA Bordeaux
- Richard Everitt, University of Reading
- Prashant Mehta, University of Illinois
- Bert Kappen, Radboud University
- Nicolas Chopin, ENSAE
- Jimmy Olsson, Royal Institute of Technology
- Maria Lomeli Garcia, University of Cambridge
- Nick Whiteley, University of Bristol
- Murray Pollock, University of Warwick
- Víctor Elvira, Institute Mines Télécom
- Axel Finke, University College London
- Kody Law, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Jeremy Heng, Harvard University
- Lawrence Murray, Uppsala University
- Brooks Paige, University of Cambridge and the Alan Turing Institute
- Arno Solin, IndoorAtlas and Aalto University
- Deborshee Sen, National University of Singapore
- Rickard Karlsson, NIRA Dynamics and Linköping University
Scientific and organizing committee
- The SMC2017 event is financially supported by: LYNX Asset Management, The Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematics (CIM), The Swedish Research Council (VR), The Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF), The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA), and The Department of Information Technology at Uppsala University.
- The photo used in the header (raindrops) is taken by Lawrence Murray.
- The photo of the river Fyris with Uppsala cathedral in the background is taken by Paulina Bengtsson at Destination Uppsala.
- The photo of Norrlands is by courtesy of Norrlands Nation.
- The photo of the interior of the University Library Carolina Rediviva is taken by Magnus Hjalmarsson.