Computer Architecture 1, Fall 2013
(5.0hp, Period 2, 1DT038, Register for UU-11210)
Instructor: David Black-Schaffer (Office Hours: Wed 13-15, P1240)
Teaching Assistant: Ricardo Alves (Office Hours: Wed 13-15, P1258)
Teaching Assistant: Germán Ceballos (Office Hours: Tue 13-15, P1258)
Textbook: "Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface." Patterson and Hennesy. Revised 4th Edition, Morgan Kaufman 2007. (Earlier editions than the 4th edition do not contain the right material.)
Course Information: (in Swedish) This course will consist of online lectures, in-class practice problems, and group lab assignments.
- Goals: Describe function and construction of a computers components including control, memory and I/O system. Write simple assembly programs.
- Contents: Von Neumann systems; RISC and CISC architectures; assembly programming; program execution and control; memory organization; I/O systems; CPU construction.
- Teaching: Required: online lectures, practice problems, lab assignments, final exam.
- Language: Lectures will be in English, but students are free to ask and answer questions in Swedish.
- Course Start: October 28th, 13:15
|44||Mon: Introduction, Wed: ISA 1, Fri: ISA 2||Fri: Lab 1 Assigned|
|45||Tue: Arithmetic, Wed: Logic||Friday|
|46||Mon: Datapath, Wed: Pipelining||Mon: Lab 1 Due, Tue: Lab 2 Assigned||Friday|
|47||Mon: Hazards, Wed: Branches||Fri: Lab 2 Due, Saturday: Lab 3 Assigned||Thursday|
|48||Mon: IO, Wed: Caches||Thursday|
|49||Mon: Virtual Memory, Wed: (extra)||Tue: Lab 3 Due, Wed: Lab 4 Assigned||Thursday|
|50||Tue: Parallelism, Thur: Review||Tue: Lab 4 Due|
Students are expected to have read the syllabus for details pertaining to scheduling, late days, grading, and requirements.
A link to the course lectures and discussion forum will be posted through studentportalen.