To become a PhD student according to the general procedure, you need to do two things: first apply for an open PhD position and then apply to the PhD studies. Please note that sholarships, employment in industry or at another university are special cases
The PhD position (the employment)
A PhD position is normally a 5-year employment as a PhD student. Such positions will be advertised only when funding is available, and you find the advertisement at it.uu.se and at uu.se. To apply for an open PhD position, you need normally to submit:
- Cover letter
- Full CV
- Certificates of your previous study results (courses, grades, and credit points)
- Documents indicating the contents of the courses you have taken (e.g., literature lists, brief listings of contents, etc.)
- Letters of reference
- A copy of your MSc thesis.
The deadline will be specified in the advertisement. The application is sent in electronically.
When you get the PhD position, then you apply to the graduate programme.
The PhD studies (the education)
To be admitted to the graduate programme, you need to fill in the following documents:
- Application form (the standard form provided by the university must be used: Swedish | English. The application form is filled in by the student.
- Individual study plan (the standard form provided by the Faculty of Science and Technology must be used) (In Swedish only.). This document should be filled in by the supervisor(s) and the student in agreement. One part of the study plan is the Economical plan for how the graduate student will be financed during the whole period until Ph.D. This document should be filled in by the supervisor(s).
- The two documents mentioned above should, together with a copy of the applicants degree/certificate/diploma from basic degree/higher education, be handed to Ulrika Andersson or Anna-Lena Forsberg.
- Ulrika and Anna-Lena will then hand all the documents to the Head of Department, who will take the final decision about admitting the student.
- When signed by the Head of Department, the documents will be sent to the the Faculty by Ulrika Andersson or Anna-Lena Forsberg. The student will then be registered as a Ph.D. student in Uppdok, the university's database for student administration.