Energy Efficient Computing (EEC14)
Start date: Week 13, 2014
ECTS credits: 5
Course period: Quarter 4, 2014
Maximum number of participants: 10-20
Apply before: Week 13, 2014
Contact person: Stefanos Kaxiras or Magnus Själander
Aim of course
The course will cover state of the art techniques for improved energy efficiency of computer systems. The course will be organized as a program committee where each week a set of articles will be assigned to students that will write reviews and present the papers.
- Added summary of course evaluation
- The remaining articles to be covered in this course has been added to EasyChair
- Schedule for the last three meetings are now decided.
- The seventh meeting will be held on Friday 9/5 at 13:15 in room 4306.
- The sixth meeting will be held on Friday 5/5 at 13:15 in room 4306.
- The fifth meeting will be held on Friday 25/4 at 13:15 in room 4306.
- The fourth meeting will be held on Wednesday 16/4 at 15:15 in room 4308.
- The third meeting is schedule on Friday 11/14 at 13:15 in 1406. The assignment of articles to read for the meeting has been done.
- The second meeting is scheduled on Friday 4/4 at 10:15 in 4308.
- Assignments of articles for the second meeting have been done and reviews are to be entered into EasyChair on Thursday (3/4) at the latest.
- Assignments of articles for the first meeting have been done and reviews are to be entered into EasyChair on Thursday (27/3) at the latest.
- The first meeting has been scheduled for Friday, March 28.
- EasyChair will be used for the review process and if you haven't gotten an invitation to become a PC member then send a mail to Magnus Själander. If you have gotten a mail inviting you to be a PC member you need to accept the invitation and create an EasyChair account in case you do not already have one.
|27/3||Deadline for review 1|
|28/3 14:00||Meeting 1||4306|
|3/4||Deadline for review 2|
|4/4 10:15||Meeting 2||4308|
|10/4||Deadline for review 3|
|14/4 10:15||Meeting 3||4308|
|15/4||Deadline for review 4|
|16/4 15:15||Meeting 4||4308|
|24/4||Deadline for review 5|
|25/4 13:15||Meeting 5||4306|
|4/5||Deadline for review 6|
|5/5 13:15||Meeting 6||4306|
|8/5||Deadline for review 7|
|9/5 13:15||Meeting 7||4306|
|18/5||Deadline for review 8|
|19/5 13:15||Meeting 8||4306|
|25/5||Deadline for review 9|
|26/5 13:15||Meeting 9||4306|
|1/6||Deadline for review 10|
|2/6 13:15||Meeting 10||4306|
|What is your overall impression of the course||Poor/great||0||0||1||5||5||84|
|I believe the contents of the course will be useful in my research||Unlikely/likely||0||1||1||4||5||80|
|I believe the contents of the course will be useful in my future career||Unlikely/likely||0||0||0||7||4||84|
|My background knowledge was||Insufficient/sufficient||0||2||6||1||2||57|
|The difficulty of the course was at a good level||Disagree/agree||0||0||1||2||8||91|
|The course was well organized||Disagree/agree||0||0||0||2||9||95|
|The discussions were informative||Disagree/agree||0||0||1||5||5||84|
|The covered material gave a good overview of the area (One blank form)||Disagree/agree||0||0||2||3||5||83|
|Would you recommend the course to your colleagues||No/yes||0||-||-||-||11||100|
- Sometimes (for some papers) the required background knowledge in hardware was necessary.
- Regarding the discussions it varied a lot for different papers. Some of them were really interesting whereas others were not very exciting. Overall, it was sometimes hard to get a good idea about a paper just from reviews and discussions.
What did you like most about the course?
- Very good papers have been selected
- Very useful and professional discussions in meetings
- Organization and meetings
- It covered several topics about energy efficiency
- Reading and reviewing papers regularly makes me understand much of this area
- Discussions was the most important part
- Evaluation/reviews of the papers
- I liked very much the methodology and how the course was organized
- The simulation of the PC meeting was great and a great way to learn
- I got to leant a lot about the state of art in energy efficient computing
- The format of the course was also interesting and new to me
- For me it was useful to get an overview of what current architecture research is about
- It is good to get and insight into how papers are written in a different field than the one where I am doing research
- The course is organized as a conference and each participant can be a reviewer
- Using EasyChair was a good idea
What could be changed/improved in the course?
- It would be better if the students that reviewed a paper made some questions about the paper and let others answer them. This way all students have a minimum familiarity with all papers discussed during every meeting
- More time between classes so that there is time to go through all papers
- The course was too dense
- On average the quality of the papers was very high and provided an excellent perspective of the topic. Still there are a few that should be replaced
- Maybe the discussions were unbalanced sometimes. Some participants remained quiet most of the time and the participation can be split more evenly
- Perhaps it would be possible to make more of the reviewer-based system. If discussions were based more closely on reviews it would be an opportunity to get feedback on and improve one's reviewing skills
- Teacher can summarize more for each paper and make connection between papers to show a wide view
- Domain can be extended with few papers related to embedded or cloud computing