I received my PhD in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 2008. My research was in programming for real-time embedded processing on many-core processors in the Concurrent VLSI Architecture Group working with William Dally. Starting in 2009 I worked at Apple on the development of the first OpenCL implementation for heterogeneous parallel processing across CPUs and GPUs. From September 2009-May 2010 I was a postdoc researcher in computer architecture in the Dept. of Information Technology at Uppsala University as a member of the CoDeR-MP project. Since May 2010 I am an assistant professor in the architecture research group at Uppsala looking at parallel programming systems and optimizations as part of the UPMARC research project.
I have been working on modeling and measuring the effects of shared memory resources (caches and off-chip bandwidth) in multicore processors. This work has addressed both theoretical models and techniques for measuring actual behavior on real systems. Currently I am looking into applying these techniques to improve task scheduling on heterogeneous processors.
Three open PhD positions within the Research Group of Computer Architecture (UART) within a project on modeling and optimization for the next generation computer systems. Applications due March 25, 2013.
- Konstantinos Koukos, David Black-Schaffer, Vasileios Spiliopoulos, and Stefanos Kaxiras. "Towards more efficient execution: A decoupled access-execute approach." International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), 2013. (to appear)
- Marc Duranton, David Black-Schaffer, Koen De Bosschere, and Jonas Maebe. "The HiPEAC Vision for Advanced Computing in Horizon 2020." HiPEAC, 2013.
- Andreas Sandberg, Andreas Sembrant, Erik Hagersten, and David Black-Schaffer. "Modeling Performance Variation Due to Cache Sharing." 19th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), 2013.
- Konstantinos Koukos, David Black-Schaffer, Vasileios Spiliopoulos, and Stefanos Kaxiras. "Towards Power Efficiency on Task-Based, Decoupled Access-Execute Models" Workshop on Parallel Programming and Run-Time Management Techniques for Many-core Architectures (PARMA), 2013.
- David Eklöv, Nikos Nikoleris, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Bandwidth Bandit: Quantitative Characterization of Memory Contention." International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO), 2013, Shenzhen, China.
- Andreas Sembrant, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Phase Behavior in Serial and Parallel Applications." IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization (IISWC), 2012.
- Andreas Sandberg, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Efficient Techniques for Predicting Cache Sharing and Throughput." In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), 2012, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Andreas Sembrant, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Phase Guided Profiling for Fast Cache Modeling." International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO), 2012, San Jose, California.
- Marc Duranton, David Black-Schaffer, Sami Yehia, Koen De Bosschere. "Computing Systems: Research Challenges Ahead. The HiPEAC Vision 2011/2012." High Performance and Embedded Architecture and Compilation Network of Excellence. November 2011.
- David Eklov, Nikos Nikoleris, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Cache Pirating: Measuring the Curse of the Shared Cache", In Proceeding of the 40th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Taipei, Taiwan, September 2011 (Best Paper)
- David Eklov, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "Fast Modeling of Cache Contention in Multicore Systems", In Proceedings of the the 6th International Conference on High Performance and Embedded Architecture and Compilation (HiPEAC), Heraklion, Crete, Greece, January 2011 (Best Paper)
- Karl Ljungkvist, Martin Tillenius, David Black-Schaffer, Sverker Holmgren, Martin Karlsson, and Elisabeth Larsson. "Using Hardware Transactional Memory for High-Performance Computing." 25th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing (IPDPS) Workshops, 2011.
- Marcus Holm, Martin Tillenius, and David Black-Schaffer. "A simple model for tuning tasks." In Proceedings of the Swedish Workshop on Multi-core Computing, 2011.
- Andreas Sandberg, David Black-Schaffer, and Erik Hagersten. "A simple statistical cache sharing model for multicore." In Proceedings of the Swedish Workshop on Multi-core Computing, 2011.
- David Black-Schaffer and William J. Dally. "Block-Parallel Programming for Real-Time Embedded Applications", In Proceedings of the 2010 39th International Conference on Parallel Processing, San Diego, CA, USA, September 2010.
- David Eklov, David Black-Schaffer and Erik Hagersten. "StatCC: A Statistical Cache Contention Model", In the Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), Vienna, Austria, September 2010
- Erik Hagersten, David Eklöv and David Black-Schaffer. "Efficient Cache Modeling with Sparse Data." Chapter in "Processor and System-on-Chip Simulation," editors Olivier Teman and Ranier Leupes. Springer, 2010.
- Aaftab Munshi, editor. "The OpenCL Specification." Version 1.0, Khronos OpenCL Working Group. October 2009.
- David Black-Schaffer, James Balfour, William J. Dally, Vishal Parikh, and JongSoo Park. "Hierarchical Instruction Register Organization", in Computer Architecture Letters. Vol. 7, No. 2, July-December 2008.
- William J. Dally, James Balfour, David Black-Schaffer, James Chen, R. Curis Harting, Vishal Parikh, JongSoo Park, and David Sheffield. "Efficient Embedded Computing." IEEE Computer, July 2008.
- James Balfour, William J. Dally, David Black-Schaffer, Vishal Parikh, and JongSoo Park. "An Energy-Efficient Processor Architecture for Embedded Systems", in Computer Architecture Letters. Vol. 7, No. 1, January-June 2008.
- JongSoo Park, Sung-Boem Park, James D. Balfour, David Black-Schaffer, Christos Kozyrakis and William J. Dally. "Register Pointer Architecture for Efficient Embedded Processors." In Proceedings of the Conference on Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE), Nice, France, April 2007.
- Kristof Richmond, David Black-Schaffer, and Stephen Rock. "Automatic Determination of Vision Lock on the Seafloor in the Presence of Dust." In Proceedings of the Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology Conference (UUST), Durham, NH, Aug 2003. AUSI