Research on Optimisation focuses on solving optimisation problems, which is about finding values for unknowns such that constraints are satisfied and a cost is (near-)minimal or a gain is (near-)maximal. Sometimes the goal is to satisfy the constraints without a specific function to be minimised or maximised.
Our research is on methods and tools for mathematical programming, constraint programming, and local search. Applications of optimisation arise in many real-world domains, such as communication networks, transportation and logistics for resource allocation, personnel rostering under work regulations and employee preferences, scheduling under precedence and resource allocation constraints, vehicle routing under time windows for deliveries or pick-ups, routing and scheduling of data flows in information networks, planning and performance engineering of mobile communications systems, etc.
- Pierre Flener serves on the programme committee board and Andreína Francisco Rodriguez on the programme committee of IJCAI-ECAI 2022, the 31st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence joint with the 23rd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, held in Vienna (Austria) in July 2022.
- Pierre Flener serves on the programme committee of CP-AI-OR 2022, the 19th International Conference on the Integration of Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence, and Operations Research, held in Los Angeles (CA, USA) in June 2022.
- Pierre Flener serves on the programme committee of AAAI 2022, the 36th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, held in Vancouver (Canada) in February 2022.
- Gustav Björdal successfully defended his PhD thesis From Declarative Models to Local Search on 23 April 2021. The opponent was Laurent Michel of the University of Connecticut (USA). The defence took place digitally.
- Pierre Flener and Justin Pearson served on the programme committee of CP 2021, the 27th International Conference on the Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, held virtually in October 2021.
- Andreína Francisco Rodriguez served on the programme committee of ModRef 2021, the 20th workshop on Constraint Modelling and Reformulation, held at CP 2021.