Thesis projects for IT engineering students and masters at the Department of Information Technology
This page has been restructured to conform to the Swedish pages
Administrative routines for the master thesis course
Structure of the pages
This page contains information about the start-up meeting, about what documents are required to start a thesis work and about the compulsory mid-course meeting. In addition links to some course plans can be found here. For more detailed information about various topics, see the left side menu items.
Compulsory start-up meeting, before starting a thesis project
At the compulsory start-up meeting for thesis projects, you will receive all necessary and important information you need in order to start working on your thesis project. At this meeting, you learn about how to find thesis projects, how you get it registered, the requirements for starting, the requirements for approvment, the supervision and reviewing of your thesis project and report, etc.
You must show up at one of the compulsory start-up meetings (see below) before starting your thesis project. Be sure to do this well before you actually start the thesis project, you are not required to have any project assigned to attend these meetings.
Please notice that the compulsory start-up meeting IS NOT the same thing as the start of your thesis project. The start of the thesis project is the day you get your thesis specification and application approved and registered by the examiner or thesis coordinator. Your thesis project can not be found in Studentportalen until it is approved and registered.
Compulsory start-up meetings 2018
|Day and date||Time||Room|
I have not yet booked any more start meetings for 2018. I will do soon. If you want to be informed of a start meeting then please email email@example.com
Material presented at the start-up meeting, 2017
In order to start a thesis project, you need to hand in four documents:
- A record of your studies in order to show that you are allowed to enter the thesis project. The requirements are 240hp for engineering students and 30hp for master students. This relates to courses in your study program. The best way to get this is from the student office or from Studentportalen.
- A specification of the thesis project that you have written together with your supervisor at a company or a research department.
- An application form that you and your supervisor have signed.
- The certificate showing that you have taken the compulsory start-up meeting
We recommend that you do use an agreement form that regulates the responsibility between you and the company. For external projects use this form, for internal projects, see here. We strongly recommend that you publish your thesis as soon as it's accepted, but if your thesis report unavoidably will contain confidential information that your supervisor wants to delay publication of for some time, you must additionally use this form here.
When you have these documents, you contact the thesis coordinator. His first task is to find a reviewer for you, and make sure this person signs the form too. You can reach the thesis coordinator by email to .
If we do not receive physical and electronic versions of the forms the entire process will be slowed down or we might not even register you as we are not fully aware of your application. Please make sure you send us a notifying email with the electronic documents attached!
Please note that the process of finding a reviewer may take some time, 2-3 weeks is not unusual from the point when you leave the form to the coordinator to the point in time when the project has been registered by the office. This is due to the fact that several persons are involved in finding a reviewer. A strong recommendation is therefore to look for a reviewer on your own. This may save some time for you. If you look up a reviewer on your own, please make sure to bring or send the specification to that teacher, so that he or she can decide on your proposal.
There is an English summary of the requirements for thesis projects at Uppsala University. You might want to use these if you are planning to do your thesis projects outside Sweden.
Compulsory mid-course meeting
2017-01-01: The mid-course meeting has been replaced by a mid-course check-up.
You are to attend a compulsory mid-course meeting when you are in the middle of the project. The purpose of this meeting is to practice presentation and opposition. You will get a personal notification when you are supposed to attend such a meeting.
Compulsory mid-course check-up
In the middle of the project, you are to meet your thesis reviewer for a mid-course check-up. During the check-up, you are expected to present your project, available results and plans for the rest of the project.
The purpose of the mid-course check-up is both to review your progress and to give you practice in presenting your work as preparation for the final presentation. It is important that you give a well prepared presentation where you describe and motivate your project in detail, starting with the basics. The feedback you get will then be helpful for you when preparing the final presentation.
How can I find examples of thesis reports from the dept. of IT?
All archived thesis reports from 2008 an on.
Rules and hints
- Checklists: the work, before the presentation and finish.
- How to start a thesis project.
- The working process (what) and the roles (who) in a thesis project.
- The specification is the most important document when you start a thesis project
- How to write a report.
- How you present your thesis and oppose on some other thesis.
- How you conclude your thesis project and applies for a degree.
Collection of rules for the Engineering study programs. Valid from 2012-01-01.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp for IT Engineering students (New program)
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Computer Science.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Computer Science.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Scientific Computing.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Scientific Computing.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Human Computer Interaction.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Embedded Systems.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Embedded Systems.