Research on Optimisation focuses on solving optimisation problems, which is about finding values for unknowns such that constraints are satisfied and a cost is (near-)minimal or a gain is (near-)maximal. Sometimes the goal is to satisfy the constraints without a specific function to be minimised or maximised.
Our research is on methods and tools for mathematical programming, constraint programming, and local search. Applications of optimisation arise in many real-world domains, such as communication networks, transportation and logistics for resource allocation, personnel rostering under work regulations and employee preferences, scheduling under precedence and resource allocation constraints, vehicle routing under time windows for deliveries or pick-ups, routing and scheduling of data flows in information networks, planning and performance engineering of mobile communications systems, etc.
- Andreína Francisco Rodríguez serves as DEI co-chair of CP 2024, the 30th International Conference on the Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, held in Girona (Spain) in September 2024.
- Mats Carlsson wins the ACP Research Excellence Award 2023 for his career.
- Gustav Björdal wins an Honorable Mention for the ACP Doctoral Research Award 2023 for his PhD dissertation.
- We host CPAIOR 2024, the 21st International Conference on the Integration of Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence, and Operations Research in Uppsala on 28 to 31 May 2024, with Pierre Flener, Andreína Francisco Rodríguez, and Justin Pearson as local chairs.
- Pierre Flener serves on the senior programme committee and Andreína Francisco Rodríguez on the programme committee of AAAI 2024, the 38th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, held in Vancouver (Canada) in February 2024.