Research centres are structured, long-term collaborations in strategically important areas. The Department of Information Technology currently hosts a number of important research centres:
- The Centre for Image Analysis (CBA) is since the 1980s developing theory and methods of computerized image analysis and appling them in important societal areas such as medicine and environment.
- eSSENCE is the e-science collaboration for development of computational methods, tools, and software for simulation and data science in physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, social science, and the humanities.
- HEdCom is a collaborative research nexus for research groups in disciplinary didactics for higher education at Uppsala University.
- UPMARC (Uppsala Programming for Multicore Architectures Research Centre) develops insights in parallel programming to demonstrate their effectiveness through prototype implementations on real problems.
- The department hosts UPPMAX (Uppsala Multidisciplinary Centre for Advanced Computational Science), which is Uppsala University's centre for high-performance computing.
See this list of research centres hosted at the department in the past.